Salary level: HEO4 professional
Site: Melbourne (Bundoora)
Vary: 0-70 hours per fortnight depending on operational needs and availability of casual staff member
As an essential service supporting research at La Trobe University, the La Trobe Animal Research and Education Center (LARTF) provides facilities, equipment, technical services and professional expertise to facilitate the diversity of research and teaching activities involving animals undertaken at the University.
The Casual Animal Technician will perform care, husbandry, welfare monitoring and surveillance duties for animals held at LARTF facilities and undertake technical and material support duties that support the research and operations of the LARTF. installation.
What you will do:
- Provide animal care, husbandry, colony management activities, monitoring and record keeping
- Undertake tasks that support the operations of the LARTF, including material support activities which may include inventory management, animal transport and toilet related tasks
- Use your training and experience with animals in research to provide assessment and advice that ensures animal welfare
- Perform tasks that help La Trobe University researchers undertake research programs involving animals.
- As a member of the LARTF team, contribute to monitoring compliance with animal ethics, biosecurity and other approvals.
You are an animal technician with research experience and a commitment to animal care and welfare. You enjoy working as a team to achieve a consistently high level of animal care and research support. You have great attention to detail, are organized, motivated and communicate well. You enjoy working with others, fostering a cohesive team environment, and building trust in your relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
You will own:
- Training and/or experience in animal technology or equivalent.
- You have practical experience in the field of animal research which may include the care and management of colonies of genetically modified rodents, the monitoring of animal welfare and the conduct of technical procedures involving laboratory animals.
- You have a high level of expertise in the skills practiced regularly by animal technicians and wish to further develop your skills and knowledge in the field.
- You hold or are ready to obtain a work with children check.
Responsible, innovative, connected, caring
For over 50 years, La Trobe has been one of Australia’s pioneering universities. We are now recognized as one of the best universities in the world, and our success is a direct result of our world-class research and teaching, and the talent and commitment of our staff.
Our university culture is safe, inclusive, responsible and everyone is respected and supported to perform at their best. We are globally connected, we care about what we do and why we do it, and we drive innovation.
Join us at La Trobe, where today’s uncertainties are tomorrow’s possibilities.
Applications close; Before 11:55 p.m. on Monday, February 28, 2022.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae; and
- A separate document addressing your suitability for the position with reference to the attributes and experience detailed above.
For all job enquiries, please contact Christine Findlay, Director of LARTF at (03) 9479 2537.
Successful applicants will be required to possess a valid working with children verification card prior to commencement.