Veterinarian, Animal Research Facilities [LKCMedicine]
We are currently recruiting a veterinarian to join the animal facility at Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (LKC Medicine), a joint medical school between Imperial College London and Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
The Veterinarian will assist with all Veterinary Medical Services needs and IACUC requirements at all AVS approved NTU animal facilities. As an AAALAC-accredited facility, the veterinarian will play a critical role in ensuring that accreditation status is maintained. The veterinarian will be responsible for carrying out all aspects of veterinary requirements, from treating animals, evaluating animal health reports of incoming shipments, monitoring animal health, implementing preventive measures against outbreaks, so that the welfare and ethical treatment of animals are treated and cared for according to guidelines, thereby enhancing research work at the University.
- Prevention, diagnosis, control and treatment of diseases: evaluation of sick and dead animals, including autopsy of dead animals if necessary. Prescribe and administer treatment/euthanasia of sick animals Establish and maintain sentinel animal health surveillance system Health review and approval of incoming and outgoing animals. Meet nutritional needs if necessary.
- Pain and distress – prevention, minimization and relief: Advise staff and researchers on the use of analgesics and anesthetics in animals, including the dispensing of the aforementioned drugs/agents. Maintain records of all medications provided to researchers/staff. Purchase of drugs or agents used in veterinary medicine. Maintain records of veterinary drugs provided to staff and researchers. Maintain controlled medication registers. Ensure that all welfare concerns regarding the use of animals in the facility adhere to regulatory guidelines. Pain and distress should be minimized or eliminated when possible. Proper documentation of the use of all drugs is essential to ensure there is no abuse or misuse.
- Assist researchers with procedures and general use of equipment: As needed, train researchers in the safe use of euthanasia chambers and anesthesia equipment. Ensure that all anesthesia equipment is maintained and calibrated regularly. Ensure that all physical means of euthanasia are used appropriately without any welfare concerns. Advise researchers and staff on approved surgical methodologies, volumes of fluid administration and withdrawal, and maintenance of breeding colonies. Organize hands-on courses in Responsible Care and Use of Animals (RCULAC) and Responsible Care and Use of Fish (RCUF) for new users. Consult the RCULAC online theory course to ensure that the information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
- IACUC Responsibilities: Meet all regulatory requirements of a veterinarian as defined by NACLAR guidelines. This includes participating on the IACUC committee and reviewing animal use protocol, facility and program assessments, monitoring IACUC compliance, and advising researchers regarding sick/moribund animals , humane evaluation criteria, and treatment/euthanasia plans In the event of non-compliance with IACUC protocols, work with the IACUC Secretariat to address these concerns. As needed, implement researcher/staff training sessions to enhance the ongoing training and development of researchers and facility staff.
- Certified in veterinary medicine and authorized by the AVS to practice veterinary medicine in Singapore.
This is a 3 year contract.
Please submit your application via